The royal college of musik in Stockholm – KMH -August 2023
Welcome to the information and application site for the European Masterclasses – Stockholm.
The course will take place on the premises of the Royal College of Music in Stockholm.
The course is also part of the Royal College of Music’s ”Additional Training Programs” that provides participating students 7.5 ECTS credits.
The festival with master classes is a unique opportunity to receive advice for your further musical and career development, to perform with outstanding soloists and conductors in some of Sweden’s most important concert halls, as well as expanding and developing your international network.
The masterclasses take place as part of the Akademifestivalen Stockholm where you will have free entrance to concerts and events.
Take risks, inspire audiences, meet people and have fun.
Become an integral part of a performing arts community of which many of the worlds most important performers are also members.
Over 7000 amazing young artists from over 50 countries have participated in these our masterclasses and festivals since 2006.
In August we will welcome hundreds of young musicians, professors and famous artists to Stockholm. Although this can be a lot to take in, we take pride in what we offer our participants. Please take time to read all of the information before you apply and contact us if you have any questions.
NOTE! You have to be a citizen of countries in the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland to apply.
Course period: August 14-20, 2023. It is an absolute requirement that all participants are on location in Stockholm throughout the whole course period!
Application tool opends: March 31
Application Deadline: May 10
Audition: Video-recording (YouTube advisable) is mandatory when submitting your application.
Accommodation: We do not provide accommodation but will send suggestions of good hostels, hotels or airbnb solutions.
Course fee: 0 SEK (only EU Citizens can apply)
ECTS – Credits: 7,5
– Open individual solo masterclasses (there will be no piano accompanists for the masterclasses)
– Chamber music/Symphony Orchestra
– Seminars and workshops
– Free tickets to all concerts that are not sold out
– Perform at the festival’s concerts
The jury and the professors will divide all the participants into 2 different groups and select the classes:
– Group 1 Symphony Orchestra – Those who are selected for this will have solo master classes and play in the symphony orchestra. Repertoire: To be decided. Participants in Group 1 Symphony Orchestra also have the opportunity to organize chamber music themselves, get coaching as well as perform it at concerts to the extent possible.
– Group 2 Chamber Music – Those who are selected for this will have solo master classes and play chamber music. Get coaching in chamber music by the professors and perform at the festival. The jury appoints groups and repertoire to everyone.
Participants in Group 2 Chamber Music have the opportunity to listen to the symphony orchestra’s rehearsals.
Master Classes – The jury and the professors will together nominate the students to the different professors’ classes. Which in some cases may mean that you get an other professor from the course roster.
NOTE! You cannot choose to apply for Group 1 or Group 2. Only after all selected students have confirmed their place can the jury make the division of the groups and classes. Therefore, it is important already when you apply that you are prepared and willing to participate in whatever group or classes the professors select you for.
July 10, everyone will receive the jury decisions and information about group divisions, classes and all repertoire.
You MUST have the following three items prepared BEFORE you start your application!
1. A copy of an official document from your academy which proves that you have completed at least 30 study credits or an equivalent thereof at a university level music school, academy or university.
2. A copy of your passport or identity card
( these 2 documents, from your academy and your passport, has to be UPLOADED at your account at the University Admission. YOU CAN’T SEND THEM BY E-MAIL OR ANY KIND OF MAIL!)
3. A video-recording. The only way to audition is by adding an video URL (web address) into the application form. The most common tools for this are Youtube. The link must be open, meaning we will not accept applications requiring login details or password, please make sure in advance that your link works and is accessible to avoid any problems. The recording must be of a solo performance (with or without accompaniment). Repertoire is up to you. One piece is enough. Minimum time is 5 minutes.
* You are NOT required to submit documentation for English Language Proficiency.
** If you have been with us three times before, we cannot offer you the course
*** UPLOADING can be done until 23:59.59 on May 10 th.
**** You might be asked to pay SEK 900. IGNORE THAT. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY ANYTHING!
APPLICATION – STEP BY STEP:
- 31 March. The registration window opens HERE (you can only register within the period April 1 – May 10)
- 10 May DEADLINE to Apply online. Click APPLY HERE below. It takes about 10 min and you need to have the link to your audition and all documents ready.
- 8 June. We will send out an email to all selected students.
- 13 June. Deadline to confirm your participation.
- 10 July. Chamber Music and Orchestra repertoire will be sent by email.
- 1 August. Detailed Schedule and Program will be sent by email.
- 7 August. Arrival in Stockholm
- 14 August. 09.00 AM Official registration at the course venue in Stockholm
- 20 August. 10 PM Final concert and the course ends